Theresa’s Vineyard contains 2 bordeaux varietals, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Situated in the heart of the Grand Valley AVA, this unique vineyard site at 4,800 feet in elevation is protected by the foothills of the Grand Mesa and in close proximity to the Colorado River. The vineyard is a 16.74 acre site with six clones of 20,700 Cabernet Sauvignon vines planted in 2001, and one clone of 800 Merlot vines in 2011.
Clone 7 (10,300 vines) 50%
Clone 24 (3,000 vines) 15%
Cabernet Sauvignon Clone 24 was selected from the Laurel Glen vineyard in Sonoma County in 1988. Clone 24 is an early maturing selection which generally has smaller berries and lower yields. It appeared on the list of registered vines in 1994.
Clone 4 (2,900 vines) 14%
Known as the “Mendoza clone”, originally from Mendoza, Argentina, the selection came to U.C. Davis in 1964. The selection arrived with the erroneous label “Merlot”, clone 11. The selection was later properly identified and appeared for the first time on the list of registered vines in 1966. Clone 4 is a moderate producer (4-5 tons per acre) with strong flavor intensity. It is non-heat-treated and relatively disease free. The clone has very good color, aromas and palate balance, with little herbal character and some spiciness.
Clone 337 (2,900 vines) 14%
Brought to the United States in a suitcase, this clone was selected in Bordeaux by the institute of research called INRA (Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France). Widely, and successfully, planted in California, the clone is appreciated for its small berries and moderate yield. The wines it produces are typically dense and complex.
Clone 2 (1,260 vines) 6%
Known as the “Oakville clone”, this was selected by Dr. Harold Olmo (U.C. Davis) from the Kunde Estate vineyards in Sonoma County prior to 1940. The property on which the Kunde Estate vineyards were located had been planted in the 19th century with imported cuttings from Chateaux Margaux and Lafite Rothschild in Bordeaux. Dr. Olmo began to develop the selection at Larkmead Vineyards in Napa County and continued with trials at U.C. Davis Experiment Station in Oakville in the 1950’s. It first appeared on the list of registered grapevines in 1965. Wines from this clone exhibit dark fruit flavors, coupled with extremely rich tannins.
Clone 5197 (340 vines) 1%
Originally imported from France in the 1970s, INRA 5197 was planted at Beaulieu Vineyard as part of the 1981 Cabernet Sauvignon Clonal Trial. Although not part of the original replantings at BV during the 1990s, it was "rediscovered" and planted to a small block at the western edge of Beaulieu Vineyard #2 on the Rutherford bench. Notable for its small yields of highly concentrated fruit, Clone 5197 produces wines of classic character emphasizing ripe berry aromas combined with blackberry and black olive hints.
Clone ENTAV 348 (800 vines)